[Phys-L] Re: Foucault pendulum circuit

John SOHL wrote:

I've started to design my own system using LEDs and photodiodes

Good plan so far.

with a
simple logic circuit to trigger a timer to drive a power MOSFET to turn
on the magnet. When I built it on the bench it worked great. When I
installed it and connected it to the actual electromagnet it no longer
worked correctly (gets very unstable).

Welcome to the fun & exciting world of magnet drivers.

I guessing that the larger amount
of inductance in the coil is feeding back into my circuit.

Feeding back? If there's any sort of feedback, I'm not the least bit
surprised that it is problematic.

I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Good.

I didn't have much luck with web searches for circuits.

Searching was the right thing to do ... but I'm not surprised that
it was unrewarding in this case.

Does anyone have a circuit they can share?

My suggestion: do away with the feedback entirely. Put all the
complexity into the logic circuit. If you need proportional
control, implement a pulse-width-modulated controller. Otherwise
it's even simpler; just build a bang/bang controller.

To be explicit, the analog part of the circuit is

/
----------/ -----------------------------
| power switching | |
| transistor | |
| R L
Power R L
Supply R L
| | |
| | |
-----------fuse---------------------------

It just can't get any simpler than that. To make it work, use the
logic circuit to operate the transistor, applying voltage to the
coil for an artfully-chosen amount of time.

When the transistor is open-circuited, the juice in the coil decays
with the obvious L-over-R time.

The fuse is in there so the thing doesn't smoke if there's a logic
failure (or whatever) causing the transistor to stay on too long.

I repeat: Unless I greatly misunderstand the application, you don't
need a fancy feedback loop. You don't a constant-current supply.
/Use the Force, Luke./ In this case, use the physics of the big
inductor to help you, rather than trying to fight it with a fancy
feedback loop.

Designing a usable feedback loop would be a piece of cake for
a skilled analog electronics engineer ... but if you don't do
this sort of thing for a living, it might take weeks or
months to get up to speed. I am not offering to teach an
analog circuit synthesis course via email. And just finding a
circuit diagram on the web would not suffice, since there are
non-obvious parameters that would need to be adjusted to fit
your situation. Most such circuits are specialized, not
general-purpose solutions.

In recent decades, most things like this have been done class-D
as discussed above. You would need a reeeally specialized
reason to justify doing it with an analog feedback loop.