[Phys-L] Re: light bulb transient

John,

Surely you have your own opinion on this idea, but in my opinion this=
just seems wrong.

I will certainly agree that the _current_ will be extra large as the =
bulb is turned on, but that will only last until the bulb warms. Whe=
n the bulb is still cool, the power is greatest. As the filiment war=
ms, the power in (in the form of IV) decreases while the power out in=
creases (primarily in the form of sigma*T^4). I just don't see any s=
ource of "thermal inertia" that will cause the temp to keep rising an=
d overshoot the equilibrium value before settling back.

If anything, as the bulb warms, the filiment will lose less thermal e=
nergy to the surroundings (because the gas in the bulb, the support p=
osts, etc, will be warmer), so the filiment should get slightly warme=
r and brighter. Anyone have a PASCO or Vernier sensor handy???

Or consider a "slow-motion filiment" i.e. a heating element on an ele=
ctric stove. Assuming no active temp control, the element will just =
keep slowing heating until an equilibrium is reached.

Tim F

P.S. The original statement can be found at=20
http://www.physlink.com/Reference/Glossary.cfm