[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

A minor quibble with what Mike E. said in part:

| George Spagna answered the question for me about why physics
| is not required for math majors. Since Bluffton University
| is a "liberal-arts"
| institution we have limits on the number of hours required
| for the major. Thus, physics is listed as a good elective
| for math majors, but it is not a requirement.

The reason you have limits on the hours required in majors is *not*
because you are a liberal arts college.

The reason lies elsewhere in the local politics of the situation; which
Mike outlined and I believe and with which I can sympathize. BTW, I
recognize the quotes around "liberal arts" that Mike made in his
original post. I just want to emphasize this point.

I graduated from a liberal arts college where the math department
required a year of intro physics and an advanced science course and
where the physics major were required two years of Calculus, linear
algebra and differential equations. (all the math requirements for the
physics major, allowed me to come very close to getting a math major, as
I chose several other math courses as electives)