[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

All flavors of our math major require calculus level intro physics, so
our math department has no problems getting math majors to take physics.

Indeed, the little "trade" school where I was enrolled, (not in
Pasadena), the math major required a year of physics and one course of a
math intensive advanced science course, (they had a list of approved
courses) I don't remember all of the courses, but this list included
P-chem, E&M, and classical mechanics. Most math majors took either E&M
or classical mechanics as those only had pre-requisites that they
already had taken, i.e. intro physics and calculus. The P-chem had
several other chemistry pre-requisites, so I got the impression that
that was a lesser used option.

OTOH, my physics major required that we take linear algebra from the
math department. I had thought that this is quite common, but lately
I've been wondering??

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu