[Phys-L] Re: compromise on ID ... or not

I have two colleagues who are very religious. One is a Christian the
other a Muslim. One believes that Genesis is literally correct; and, he
expends a great deal of effort trying to show that the laws of physics
can be made compatible with that view. On the other hand, he considers
some other parts of the Bible as being not literally true, including
some the parts that have to do with how one should behave.

The other colleague does not view Genesis as being literally correct,
but does view the exhortations toward moral behavior in other parts of
the Koran to be, if not literally true, essentially correct. He doesn't
let the creation stories in Genesis interfere with his scientific
research; but, he does lean heavily on the Koran to guide his personal
life.

If I were going to bet on which one of my colleagues were going to make
it into heaven, if heaven exists, I would choose the second one in a
heartbeat!

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus