[Phys-L] Re: ID defenders (response Part I)

----- Original Message -----=20
=46rom: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: ID defenders [Response to R. McDermott, Part II]

And Here is the rest of it, part II:

They believe
them to be logically formulated on the basis of what they observe. =
That
they have not employed the scientific method may irk us, but MOST o=
f what
people believe is not based on the scientific method, and SOME of w=
hat
"science" believes (at the edges of our "understanding") is out and=
out
guesswork. Why pretend otherwise?

Nobody is pretending otherwise. The issue is not that scientists
guess about things, but that the guesses are testable, and that whe=
they are found to be wrong, they are abandoned.

But, Hugh, they AREN'T all testable. For a long time, many of Einste=
in's=20
predictions were untestable. I don't know how you would go about tes=
ting=20
string theory or any number of other things that we lump into "scienc=
e".

Of course, this is a complex process. Seldom can a decision be made
based on a single experiment. Sometimes it isn't the theory or
hypothesis that is wrong, but the experiment. sometimes the
experiment was improperly done, or the prediction the experiment wa=
to test was an incorrect extrapolation of the underlying theory. Wh=
en
a theory is well-established it often takes a whole series of
experiments to cause it to be overturned, and often the old theory
will undergo many internal modifications before it is realized that
it has become too unwieldy to by useful.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as everyone=
=20
understands "the rules". The problem is that only a minority of the=
=20
population understands the rules under which science operates. As we=
are=20
among the very small percentage who DO, it is incumbent upon us to be=
very=20
careful to convey the rules in what we say and write, and many of us =
are=20
not.

As to the second part of what you wrote
(falsity of "evolution"), evolution as a PROCESS cannot be disputed=
.

True. But as I pointed out above, many young-earth creationists (th=
is
doesn't include the ID-types, for the most part) do dispute evoluti=
on
as a process.

Or do you mean Darwinism as the mechanism? I find it hard to believe=
that=20
anyone would dispute that organisms change over time! It is so easy =
to=20
demonstrate that it is inconceiveable to me that anyone would have a =
problem=20
bringing a doubter around.

It is the extrapolation of facts into an untestable hypothesis
that is in dispute.

For example, we have extrapolated from observations that there was a =
"Big=20
Bang". However likely that extrapolation is to be true, I can't for =
the=20
life of me see how that can be tested!?

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. If it is to the origin
of life itself, then I would say that that is, by consensus, beyond
the scope of biological evolution.

Yes, that is another example.

Scientists are seeking the answer to the question of how life came
about, but no one has yet come up with any definitive answers.

The process of science.

Many have speculated on possible ways it
could have happened, but no one is claiming that they have the
indisputable answer.

But we routinely PHRASE what we say in such a way as to obscure that =
little=20
detail. The public doesn't automatically add the qualifier that a sc=
ientist=20
does mentally: "What we observe leads us to believe such and forth.=
=20
Subsequent testing has not shown this to be in error, so we have a 75=
% (or=20
90%, or whatever) level of confidence in our speculation. We do not =
KNOW=20
that this is correct, but we strongly (or very strongly) believe that=
it is.=20
If it's shown to be incorrect tomorrow, we will cheerfully drop this=
=20
speculation in favor of a different one." The public doesn't underst=
and=20
that concept, and it is incumbent upon those who DO to make it clear =
at some=20
point in what we say and write. It's just carelessness on our parts.

So far all anyone has is some rather vague
possibilities, which need to be subjects to some rigorous
experimental testing, much of which may still be technologically
beyond our capability, or may depend upon knowledge of the early
conditions on earth that we do not know well enough.

Agreed.

If it is to the origins of different species, then I think the
evidence is pretty well in. It may not be the completely defined
continuum that those opposed to evolution insist upon, and it is
unlikely that it ever will be that complete, but we keep finding th=
intermediate stages between species, even among living species, and
so far, we have not found any fossils or remains or even still
existing species that cannot be fitted nicely into the patterns tha=
have been constructed, that is, we don't find evidence for species
with no connections to earlier varieties.

Again, if we are unable to convince people that organisms change over=
time,=20
then we're poor educators. If we expect them to accept extrapolation=
s as=20
"fact" when they fly in the face of their strongly held beliefs, then
we're deluding ourselves. You say we see fossils that we can fit "ni=
cely=20
into patterns". Well that is what we do as thinking organisms. We s=
ee=20
patterns. Sometimes we see pattens where none really exist (I make i=
t a=20
point in my classes to be very careful to avoid unintended "patterns"=
for=20
the kids to pick up on as a short cut to solving physics problems - T=
hey are=20
amazingly creative about the patterns they detect <g>). AS I've said=
, for=20
me personally, I have no problem with change over time. Frankly, I d=
on't=20
really care what the mechanism is, or if there is more than one at wo=
rk. I=20
confess to being skeptical about all life evolving from a single-cell=
ed=20
organism that itself derived from non-living chemicals. I grant that=
it is=20
a perfectly ok explanation of what we see, and as long as that is how=
it is=20
presented, I have no problem with it.

All DNA looks pretty much
alike--it is made up of the same basic building blocks, all the coi=
ls
rotate in the same sense, the connections are the same--only certai=
bases connect to certain others--and the means of replication is th=
same in all species. When one looks at living matter at the cell
level and below, the similarities are striking--much more so than t=
he
differences. While this doesn't rule out other possibilities, it
certainly strongly suggests a common origin.

Agreed, the only issue is the nature of the common origin.

In what other areas might you think that untestable hypotheses have
been made by scientists?

That people, on both sides, so cavalierly toss around the term
"evolution" to mean something other than the PROCESS of evolution i=
s the
crux of the problem, imo.

Quite possibly, but in my experience, those doing that are not the
students of evolution but those opposed to it, who continually try =
make evolution into something it is not and never was intended to b=
e.

I find both equally at fault. Many biology teachers with whom I am=
=20
acquainted are careless in making the distinction, and they are not a=
ided in=20
the task by prior science teachers. I'm sure that there are a few pe=
ople=20
out there who feel the need to "debunk" religion doing the same thing=
. For=20
most of us, I think it is no more than careless phrasing.

> As to the issue of oogenesis, that is a red herring raised onl=
y by
the creationists.

Can't you see that instead of being a "red herring", this distincti=
on is
fundamental to the dispute?!

I disagree. As I have stated many times here and elsewhere, evoluti=
on
is not about the origin of life, only about the mechanism of its
change.

If everyone agreed with your very correct definition, in what they sa=
y and=20
write, we wouldn't be in the position in which we find ourselves. Th=
at's my=20
opinion anyway, for whatever than may be worth <g>.
<More in next piece>