[Phys-L] Re: ID defenders

At 09:01 AM 8/25/2005, R McDermott, you wrote:
///
Evolution does not and never has even addressed the
issue of the origin of life. That is an as yet unsolved question

Then why do science teachers, lecturers, etc routinely do exactly that?
"The universe began with the 'Big Bang'", right? And "ALL life on Earth
evolved from simple, single-celled organisms in a primordial pool that
originally contained "organic" material".

Hmmm....conflating cosmology and the origin of life on Earth
is not in the science orthodoxy, though it does seem to be
the literalist reading of Genesis.

///

Their claim is that at least some of those changes occur by
means that evolution cannot account for

Well, I can't say I'm up on all the prevailing arguments, but I have to
confess that I've NEVER heard that argument.

Let me float what may or may not be an Intelligent Design assertion
or two, to refresh you.
"Look at the splendor of the eye's design. How could that have
evolved - too complicated....?"

"Look at the majesty of the flapping wing flyer....
How could that have evolved... too complicated?"

There are perfectly sensible scientific observations - about the
anterior blood supply of the optical surface for example - which points to
an infolding of formerly undifferentiated skin...

..about the extended skin flaps of gliding animals, - about scales
and feathers - their observable similarity of structural elements....

These are not captivating sound bites - but they are scientific!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!