[Phys-L] Re: ID defenders

Monce, Michael N. wrote:

I'm not defending ID, but just pointing out that censorship, and s=
upression of opinion and debate, are certainly not limited to one sid=
e of the political spectrum.

That's true, and well said.

For moderation,

I'm in favor of getting the correct answer. Moderation and compromise are
often _but not always_ the path to the correct answer.

To cite a favorite example: If somebody says the moon is made of green
cheese, he's wrong. He is not partly right. He is not moderately right.
We should not compromise between his "opinion" and the scientific evidence.

As Winston Churchill said, when somebody's house is on fire, we should not
stand impartial between the fire brigade and the fire.

I'm not saying we should stifle debate or prevent people from expressing
their opinions, but neither should we give equal weight and equal class-time
to all opinions. As Arno Penzias said, to do that would give the biggest
advantage to the biggest liar.