[Phys-L] Re: First Day Activities or Demos

Ludwik wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:kowalskil@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:16 AM

OOPS, I just realized that pushing the large m away from your face is
likely to result in undesirable consequences.

I have fond memories of one of my professors and colleagues, Fred
Leitner, "christening" a brand new, multi-million dollar lecture hall by
doing just that in 1973. After doing the standard demo (release the
bowling ball pendulum from rest), he would then say that conservation of
energy still works, even if the initial kinetic energy was not zero. He
then gave the bowling ball a shove. Students gasped as he stepped aside
at the last second to watch the ball smash a hole in the brand new
cinder block wall! Incidentally, the hole was not repaired until the
early 1980s. At one time I proposed putting a brass plaque next to it,
declaring it the "Fred Leitner Hole in the Wall." For some reason, the
Physics Department wouldn't spring for it.

He stopped doing that demo after an AAPT meeting "magic show" when the
ball fell off the cable while he was taking his bows.

"Einstein said that if quantum mechanics is
right, then the world is crazy. Well,
Einstein was right. The world is crazy."
-Daniel Greenberger

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College