[Phys-L] Re: Quizzes & Spreadsheets

Dwight -

I'm not sure this is the BEST answer, but I would just create multiple
numerical versions using the Word mail merge feature after letting Excel
create a data source (including calculations) for me. Specifically:

1) Create a list in excel with the first row being your quantities.
(Example: Mass, Acceleration, and calculated Force).

2) Save that file as a tab delimited TEXT file.

3) Open Word and turn on the Mail Merge Toolbar (View->Toolbars)

4) Using the 2nd button on the toolbar, identify the Text file as your
data source.

5) Write your quiz, and use the "insert fields" button where you'd like to
have varying numbers. Word will let you pick the appropriate name if you
used it as a column heading--but you'll need to type units in the Word
document. (Example: Given an object with mass= <<MASS>>kg accelerating at
<<Acceleration>>m/s^2, find the force in Newtons.)

6) When you're done, merge to a new document to create multiple versions
of the quiz--and save that merged document.

your key, and do another merge.
(Example: Force=<<Force>>)

For ease of matching these up, you may want to include a "version number",
in an obvious place on each quiz. This could be an additional column
(with a code) in the Excel sheet, or it could just be the record number
(Example: Version: Insert->Field->MergeRec).

I hope that helps or is close to what you had in mind...

Mike Meyer
Lab/Demo Coordinator
MTU Physics Dept
mrmeyer@mtu.edu

Greetings everyone. I hope the end of the school year is treating you
well.
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can assist me. In an effort to
minimize cheating/copying off of one another, I've been giving assignments
that differ from some of their other classmates. The problem has been
taking the time to write each one up and the answers.

Recently, I found a way to link Excel to Word. I'm able to make numerical
changes in Excel, have it automatically do the calculations and put the
numbers and answers in Word document/template. The problem I've
discovered
was that depending on the size of the cell in Excel, the cell also shows
up
in Word so that the spacing around the values makes it difficult to read.

What I'm doing is similar to what is done with Access (like creating an
address book) and then importing it into a Word document (mail merge or
merging it into a form letter). Access is able to input the words and
numbers, without messing up the space around the imported values.

I'm wondering if I have to take a longer route to do what I want to do.
Put
the values in Excel and have it do the calculations. Have the information
transferred to Access. Then from Access have it merged into Word.

If I do have to take the long route, does anyone know how to do it? Is
there a way I can go directly from Excel to Word without messing up the
space? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight
Ashland, OH