[Phys-L] Re: Quizzes & Spreadsheets

Dwight,

I just read Mike's reply and I would second it. I would also ad=
that it is possible to format the numbers in the mail merge document =
so
that you don't have silly things like 9.800000000000000001. Formatti=
ng
the cell in Excel will not carry over to the Word documents. I use
this procedure for doing progress reports for my students. I mail-me=
rge
my Excel grade book to a progress report. Since the grades are the
results of calculations, I get silly numbers a lot unless I format th=
em.

=20

Click on the merge field. Then use <SHIFT><F9> to reveal the me=
rge
codes. You should see something like {MERGEFIELD
"ClassParticipation01"}. Click between the final quote and the brace=
.
Enter \# and ##.# to format the number to have one decimal place and =
two
leading places. It should look like {MERGEFIELD "ClassParticipation01=
"
\# ##.#} The \# is the numerical formatting switch and the ##.# appl=
ies
the template for the formatting. Using ##.0 instead of a ##.# should
give 12.0 instead of 12. Add # or 0 signs as necessary.

=20

THO

=20

Thomas O'Neill