[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

Two remarks. (Hope I'm not repeating someone else.)

1. I think that there are TWO issues in the one-wire task. (a) the complete circuit - lamp construction, and (b) the substitution of direct contact instead of a second wire.

2. For the misconception on the seasons: One problem is the locution used for describing the tilt of the earth's axis. I have heard it described as "the north pole being CLOSER to the sun" for summer in the northern hemisphere, rather than "the north end of the axis being TILTED TOWARD the sun".
Once the student hears the word "closer" the misconception is reinforced.