[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: LED mini-flashlight price break

I knew that Mr. Denker would correct me...and I don't mind at all that
he has.

BTW I think it would be better to say "quantization of light
and of atomic energy levels" rather than saying "photoelectric
effect". There's no photoelectric current produced anywhere
in the procedure as described.

I don't disagree. I also don't actually use the term "photoelectric
effect", since my first-year students are unfamiliar with the effect and
its significance (historical and physical). Instead, I present the
demonstration to illustrate how high-frequency radiation presents a
danger to living tissue that lower-frequency radiation will not.

Conceptually:
photocurrent cutoff wavelength -->-- quantization
phosphorescence cutoff wavelength -->-- quantization
but that doesn't mean photocurrent is synonymous with
phosphorescence. Here "-->--" means "demonstrates or
provides evidence for".

I hope this doesn't sound like a nit-pick; I was having a
hard time understanding the demonstration until I surmised
that it didn't really involve the photoelectric effect.

I admit to being a bit loose with my terminology when it suits me;
perhaps I should have described the demonstration as indicative of the
"effect of the photoelectric effect"--proof of the quantization of
light. As it is, I am often accused of over-explaining ideas, and am
attempting to sublimate this tendency, sometimes at the expense of
telling a few "white lies".