[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Mac vs. PC (no flames please!)

At 21:21 -0500 1/25/05, Richard Tarara wrote:

Today's top games are the collaboration of large teams of artists,
programmers, (I suspect a physicist or two), musicians, and of course
marketing folks. A single program can be two years in development and
today will stretch the capabilities of even top end machines. For the
simple reason of market share, your choices are FAR wider in the Windows
world and because of the way many of these games stretch the capabilities
of machines, don't expect your emulators to work effectively (if at all).
Of course every one here is far too serious to get into such diversions!

I learned a long time ago that even the simplest games (e.g., Pong)
can be absolutely and terminally addictive. The only way I can keep
from wasting those hours chasing some little ball around the screen
is to go cold turkey, so I trashed every game I had on my
computer--don't even load those simple ones that come free with a new
system version. Otherwise, I would never get anything done. Yes,
video games are an economic big deal, and probably did contribute to
the condemning of Apple to marginal status, but they are also the
absolute opiate of the masses and as a civilization, we would be much
better off without them.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams