[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Concerned over costs (was Mac vs. PC )

"I questioned the director. He said he
still had some government money he needed to spend, and this was an
excellent opportunity to spend it. I said it was not ethical. He said
to shut up because it is "free money."

Free money? (1) It's my money because I am a tax payer. (2) If that
kind of money is available, and we still have some small classrooms
without technology, why not spend $4000 and upgrade 6 rooms, or even
spend $6000 to upgrade 4 rooms, rather than spend $24,000 on one room.
Isn't that the responsible thing to do with the money... get the most
bang for the buck?

Well, I was told that I just don't understand the way things work, and
this is the reason he is the director of technology instead of me."

You've heard of letters to the editor -- Maybe sending a cc to U.
officials first might do the trick without embarrassing them.

bc

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Rick Tarara made a nice summary, as well as some other responders. The
reason I am specifically mentioning Rick's response is because of his
wording for item #3

"3) Cost (may or may not be a concern)."

I always get a little chuckle over statements like this, and sometimes
even get upset.

When is cost not a concern? I suppose it would not be a concern if I
were independently wealthy, I had nothing better to do with my money
than spend it on myself, and I had more money than I could possibly
spend on myself before I die. This might not represent the best ethical
attitude, but it might be true.

A lot of people think cost is not a concern if you are spending someone
else's money... perhaps government money. Here the ethical thinking
becomes tougher.

We recently decided to upgrade a classroom with LCD projector, computer,
DVD, VCR, document camera, screen. We already had these components.
All I wanted was the LCD projector mounted to the ceiling, and cables
run. The total cost of all these parts was about $4000, of which the
projector was the biggest part.

When I asked the Buildings and Grounds folks to mount the projector and
run the cables, they said I had to contact the technology department.
When I contacted technology, they said I had to install a console and
wire it with a single set of controls so that non-technology-oriented
faculty could run the system. Never mind that this was a science
classroom and all science profs know how to use the technology. Anyway,
the quotation to get this all put together was $24,000 for a classroom
that seats 18 students.

I told the technology director to skip it. I would come in on Saturday
and do it myself at no cost. I was told I was forbidden to do that. I
was not allowed to install technology that didn't follow the campus
standard. I was shocked to discover that the university was spending
over $20,000 on each classroom that was getting "technology."

I assumed my classroom would therefore not get technology because it did
not make sense to spend $24,000 for a classroom that seats 18 students.
Ha! The technology folks showed up and started measuring the room and
preparing to spend the money. I questioned the director. He said he
still had some government money he needed to spend, and this was an
excellent opportunity to spend it. I said it was not ethical. He said
to shut up because it is "free money."

Free money? (1) It's my money because I am a tax payer. (2) If that
kind of money is available, and we still have some small classrooms
without technology, why not spend $4000 and upgrade 6 rooms, or even
spend $6000 to upgrade 4 rooms, rather than spend $24,000 on one room.
Isn't that the responsible thing to do with the money... get the most
bang for the buck?

Well, I was told that I just don't understand the way things work, and
this is the reason he is the director of technology instead of me.

He was right about one thing... I just don't understand.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817