Re: motional emf

I'm about to go out to cut the lawn, so I'll be brief - but
not incoherent - I hope.

At some point an external force must accelerate the bar
from rest to the speed v. This gives the electrons a motion
in the direction of v and an associated kinetic energy. The
magnetic field turns the direction of motion (without
imparting energy to the electrons) so that they have a
component of motion perpendicular to v. The Lorentz force
related to this component produces a force opposite to v -
the rod will slow down unless the external force continues
to act. It is the external force that is producing the
energy.

A slightly different way of approaching this is to think
of the external force as accelerating the electrons from
rest resulting in a kinetic energy 1/2 m v_x^2 (assuming v
is in the x direction). The magnetic force redirects the
motion - the kinetic energy doesn't change - but it now is
given by 1/2 m v_x^2 + 1/2 m v_y^2. The x term is less, but
the y term has increased. In order to maintain the x term,
the external force must do work - the magnetic force again
redirects this to y motion, etc. In a sense, the external
force does work and is the source of the energy, the
magnetic force simply redirects it to the ends of the rod
resulting in the EMF. The magnetic field does no work in
this process.

This approach doesn't require a change of frame of
reference.

Bob at PC