To: rete@maillist.ox.ac.uk
From: Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [rete] Passevin

At 02:45 PM 6/23/2004, Pierre Lauginie, you wrote:

My answer does not refer to History of Science, but only to a modern (?)
way for the "passvin" :

A glass of red wine, full exactly up to the upper edge.
A second glass similarly full of water. A sheet of paper is put just on
the surface, in contact with the edge and with water.

Take the second glass in your right hand, maintain the paper sheet in
place with your left hand, and turn it over, while preventing the water
to flow outside the glass with the paper sheet. Put delicately the turned
over water glass on the first one, exactly edge against edge.

Then, very, very slowly, pull the paper sheet towards you in order to
remove it completely.

Then, very progressively, you see the diffusion of the red wine towards
the upper glass, while it is replaced by water in the lower one. After
some minutes, the upper glass is full of wine, and the lower is quite
clear ! It is really amazing.

P. Lauginie

Welcome [Jonas]!

The website for Hauch's Cabinet describes the passevin as
a slight of hand, whereby the lower container, disguised in a
wood shell, is filled with red wine. This lower container
connects to the upper flask by a slim passage.

When water is added to the flask, the hidden wine takes its
place, drop by drop.

<http://www.awhauch.dk/>

Brian Whatcott