Re: Knowing what you know not about what should be known

I believe that there is some confusion in Jeremy's assertion (below) that
"formulas must have physical causes" . Formulas are merely condensed
mathematical expressions that summarize observed phenomena. For example,
the formula F=ma
summarizes our observations of the relations and interactive effects
among accelerations, forces, and masses. Sometimes, as in the case of the
formula f=ma, the formulas break down as conditions become extreme.

Similarly, the Boyle's law and the Charles' law formulas break down as
pressures rise to high values or volumes become smaller and smaller.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where even our census data, published every few years, is broken down by
race, age, and sex)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:11:27 -0700 Jeremy Batterson