Re: What are "principles" in science?

hyperbole?

Jack Uretsky wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, John Denker wrote:

Mark Sylvester wrote:

I don't know what support I should provide for distinguishing
theories from empirical laws beyond referring doubters to a
dictionary - I'm not proposing something different from standard
usage within scientific circles. I am cautioning against the
widespread further use of "theory" in common English to denote
something uncertain or tentative as in "...that's all very well in
theory".

I checked a half-dozen dictionaries, all of which support
the view that the word "theory" has two divergent meanings
a) a mere conjecture or speculation, or
b) a collection of results giving an overview and a
refined understanding of a particular subject.

Both of these meanings are correct and evidently have been
for thousands of years.

Aw, c'mon. The English language ain't that old. How old is the
current meaning that you ascribe to the word.

=========

Constructive suggestions: to replace the word "theory":
-- for definition (a), the words "conjecture" or "speculation"
make fine substitutes.
-- for definition (b), it's hard to find a word that is strong
enough. With some loss of strength one can speak of the
"laws" or "principles" of evolution, or the "observed facts"
of evolution.