sending a reply

I do not understand this. Bernard posted a message
(see below) and I received it from

PHYS-L"AT"LISTS.NAU.EDU

I pressed the REPLY button and the destination
address, instead of being as above, becomes

PHYS-L"AT"lists1.ucc.nau.edu

(For some reason the @ was interpreted as
RTF by Phys-L server and the message was
returned. I am trying again with the four-characters
string in the address ( "AT" instead of @). But that
is a different issue; it has to do with this messages
and not with the question I am asking below.

How did "s" (at the end of "lists") become "1.ucc"?
I am documenting what happens in order to ask
our IT people tomorrow. Does this happen at the
server or does this happen on my computer?
I am using "mail" under MAC-OS-X. But your
comments will be appreciated.

To succeed in I am forced to correct the
destination address before pressing the SEND
button. Excuse my frequent testing messages.
Ludwik Kowalski