Electrical Wire Safety

We've all seen and heard the warnings from our local power companies
about being electrocuted by leaning a ladder against a wire going into
your house. (I'm not going to test this one.) Here's the question, how
does the electrocution occur through this, energized, insulated wire?
Does the wire set up such a strong e-field, that when contacted,
charges are drawn through you, along the ladder, to the wire? I've done
some google searching and all the electric company sites that I hit on
tell me is not to do it. None offer a science explanation.
-Tony

Tony Wayne
twayne@albemarle.org
http://physics.k12albemarle.org