Re: Kirchhoff's laws and conservation laws

Regarding Daniel's question:

I have always seen Kirchhoff's voltage law derived from
conservation of energy, not flux. The potential energy
of a charge is well defined at each point in the circuit.
As the charge circulates around the circuit, it must
return to the same potential energy. Is there a flaw
in the derivation from conservation of energy?

Kirchoff's voltage law is a consequence of the electric field being
curl-free. It is only curl free if there is a conservation of
magnetic flux, otherwise the nonzero curl of the E-field is
determined at the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic
flux density by Faraday's law of magnetic induction. Once we have
the condition that the E-field is curl free then we have the
existence of a potential function whose gradient gives the negative
of the E-field. If the magnetic flux is not conserved then there is
*no* such potential voltage function that gives the actual electric
force field, and there is then no electric potential energy to
consider (conserved or otherwise).

(I agree that Kirchhoff's current law is a direct
consequence of conservation of charge.)

Actually it is a consequence of a combination of the conservation of
charge *and* a hypothesis of the currents being in a steady-state.
IOW Kirkoff's current law requires that div(j) = 0 and this is only
the case when the d[rho]/dt term in the charge conservation
law (i.e. charge continuity equation) vanishes.

David Bowman