Re: Potential of a point charge

Quoting Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskil@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>:

I agree that the minus sign in the definition is confusing. Especially
when the author tells us "between two points A and B" as if any
arbitrary two points could be chosen. In reality (and this should be
clearly stated before the definition is introduced) the point B is
"downhill" electrically speaking, with respect to the point A. In other
words, the potential energy increase is negative when the dot product
is positive (work done 'by the field" and not "on the field").

That remark represents a considerable change in topic, but
that's OK.

I don't think I agree with the statement that B has to be
``downhill'' w.r.t A. Gauge invariance and all that.

In the problem Rick asked about, people commonly choose the
gauge such that the potential goes to zero at r=infinity.
But this is absolutely not mandatory.

The general, gauge-invariant way to look at it is to say that
the potential drop from A to B is
1/r_A - 1/r_B
and there is not the slightest reason to require or even
suspect that B is downhill from A.