Re: Potential of a point charge

I agree that the minus sign in the definition is confusing. Especially
when the author tells us "between two points A and B" as if any
arbitrary two points could be chosen. In reality (and this should be
clearly stated before the definition is introduced) the point B is
"downhill" electrically speaking, with respect to the point A. In other
words, the potential energy increase is negative when the dot product
is positive (work done 'by the field" and not "on the field").
Ludwik Kowalski