From: "Brian Blais" <bblais@BRYANT.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:04 PM
Subject: Orbital Kinetic Energy

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a calculation showing that the kinetic
energy of an object in a circular orbit is equal to half of the potential
energy, where the calculation does *not* use acceleration or force at all.
Is
there an argument for this based purely on energy concepts? It occurred
to me
that there should be, but I can't think of it.

thanks,

Brian Blais

bblais@bryant.edu
web.bryant.edu/~bblais