Revision, Conferencing, and Student Writing Gains

In his POD post of 27 Nov 2003 09:16:06-0500 titled "Revision,
Conferencing, and Student Writing Gains," Dan Tompkins wrote:

"It is a truism that one way to improve writing skills is to require
revision of papers. This is certainly true in my own practice, but I'd
like to have as much evidence as I can before I try to argue for this
claim. Can anyone on this list point me to good studies of the gains
(or, of the failures to gain) brought by a practice of revision in
undergraduate writing courses?"

As I keep saying to deaf ears [e.g., Hake (2003a)], universities have
failed to heed the lessons of the physics education reform effort
[Hake (2002)], especially

"Lesson #3: High-quality standardized tests of the cognitive and
affective impact of courses are essential for gauging the
effectiveness of non-traditional educational methods relative to
traditional methods. . . . so great is the inertia of the educational
establishment (see Lesson #13) that three decades of
physics-education research demonstrating the futility of the
passive-student lecture in introductory courses were ignored until
high-quality standardized tests that could easily be administered to
thousands of students became available."

In my opinion, until DISCIPLINARY EXPERTS make the effort to develop
valid and consistently reliable tests of good writing and use such
tests in a pre/post test mode, little substantive evidence regarding
the need for, or effects of, various modes of writing pedagogy (such
as practice brought by revision in undergraduate writing courses)
will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, faculty may have to depend on anecdotal evidence and
testimonials from those generally recognized to be good writers. For
example, in an interview by Harry Kreisler (1986) on "The Art of Good
Writing" John Kenneth Galbraith said (bracketed by lines "GGGGGGG. .
. .":

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
One extraordinary part of good writing is to avoid excess, which many
writers do not understand. The next thing, which of course is
obvious, is to be aware of the music, the symphony of words, and to
make written expression acceptable to the ear. . . . THE THIRD THING
IS NEVER TO ASSUME THAT YOUR FIRST DRAFT IS RIGHT. The first draft,
when you're writing, involves the terrible problem of thought
combined with the terrible problem of composition. And it is only in
the second and third and fourth drafts that you really escape that
original pain and have the opportunity to get it right. Again, I'm
repeating myself; I'VE SAID MANY TIMES THAT I DO NOT PUT THAT NOTE OF
SPONTANEITY THAT MY CRITICS LIKE INTO ANYTHING BUT THE FIFTH DRAFT.
[My CAPS.]
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

What does writing have to do with science/math education? In "The
Arons-Advocated Method" [Hake (2003b)] I wrote (bracketed by lines
"HHHHHH. . . .":

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
In regard to the liberal side of science/math education, I once asked
Arons for his opinion on the virtually forgotten Benezet (1935/36)
method [Benezet (1935/36), Mahajan & Hake (2000)] of delaying
algorithmic mathematics until the sixth grade in favor of reading;
inventing; discussing stories and problems; estimated lengths,
heights, and areas; and finding and interpreting numbers relevant to
students' lives. Arons (2000) responded (my CAPS):
"I HAVE LOOKED AT THE BENEZET PAPERS, AND I FIND THE STORY CONGENIAL.
The importance of cultivating the use of English cannot be
exaggerated. I have been pointing to this myself since the '50's, and
am delighted to find such explicit agreement. I can only point out
that my own advocacy has had no more lasting effect than Benezet's.
[You will find some of my views of this aspect in (Arons 1959)] . . .
. Benezet taught excellent arithmetic from the very beginning just as
it should be taught. What he removed was useless drill on memorized
algorithms that had no connection to experience and verbal
interpretation.
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>

"How do I know what I think until I see what I say?
Ludwig Wittgenstein