Re: Why is it "static friction?"

There are several other forces acting on a car.
There is drag from the resistance to the airflow around it.
There is a positive or negative lifting force from the reaction forces from
the airflow around it.
There is a sidewards force or torque about it center of gravity tending to
tip it over as it changes direction.
The frictional force caused by the interaction of the tires with the road
surface has components resisting the tangential motion and a sidewards
force pushing the tires towards the center of the turn it is making or
radially inward equivalent to the mv^2 /r.

Without the inward radial force, the car would stop turning and move in the
direction of the last tangent, like an object being wirled in a circle on a
string when the string breaks.

There is a coriolis force from the earth's rotation.
The force of gravity from the moon and sun.
There is acceleration as the car traverses hills and dips in the road.
Gusts of wind....