Re: Causation in Physics: F=ma

Much time was spent on this subject in freshman intro. to Philosophy.
I was "taught" there is no cause only temporal propinquity.

bc, who uses the excuse of 45 years.

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

>> I think it needs to be emphasized that N2 is a statement
>> about INTERACTIONS (Forces). It says that interactions
>> produce momentum changes. The converse is dangerous:
>> Momentum "changes" concocted by merely considering more or
>> less than the mass originally under consideration are not
>> evidence of interaction forces.

Well, I don't see in that a "definite" claim that F=ma
expresses cause-and-effect.

People often say "A because of B" when they really mean either
-- "A is necessarily associated with B" or
-- "we can calculate A because we know B".
... neither of which states anything about causation.

I have tried for years to train myself to speak precisely about
causation, and have not entirely succeeded. In the proofreading
process I grep for all occurrences of 'cause' and scrutinize them
... and usually I have to remove them and replace them with some
expression such as 'associated with'. I beseech other people to
be careful also, and I sympathize, knowing it won't be easy.