scholarship needed for a Kenyan college SCIENCE student

July 5, 2003
Phys-L colleagues,
Please consider providing a $300 college scholarship for an impoverished
Kenyan, AMBUNYA O. GEFFREY, who wants to continue studying science at the
University of Nairobi.

I received his autobiography last month (at my request) from Beth Scott,
the President of a well-run Canadian charitable organization of retired
educators, called ACCES (African - Canadian Continuing Education Society).
She in turn got it via e-mail from the volunteer ACCES agent who lives in
Kenya.

I'm on the ACCES volunteer board of directors. I've sponsored 8 Kenyan
students through ACCES. Every penny goes to their college education. I
correspond with a few of the students by e-mail, and occasionally I mail
them research articles and/or instructional materials in their field.
Several phys-L subscribers also sponsor Kenyan students through ACCES.

I include information about ACCES below.

We have so much, and they have so little! Let's share.

Cheers,
Jane Jackson, Modeling Instruction Program
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Arizona State University, Tempe AZ

----------------------
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF AMBUNYA O. GEFFREY

Bachelor of Science
University of Nairobi
I am a Kenyan citizen residing at the western part of the country
in Kakamega district. I was born on April 1, 1981. I am the last born in
a family of eight. My parents are elderly (father 61 and mother 51) and
sickly - father is a diabetic. They are unable to bring up the family. My
immediate elder sibling is at the Kenya cottage on sponsorship by a well
wisher. My other siblings could not proceed to high school since my father
started being sick in 1988, the time my family highly required support.
Our 1.5 acre piece of land is inferior due to over cultivation and cannot
raise enough food for the family.
I joined primary school in 1988 and finished in 1996. The little
livestock we had were sold to keep us in primary school. I had to struggle
between hardships to see that my dream comes true. I attained 461 out of
700 in KCPE.
In 1997 I had to delay joining secondary school because of lack of
funds. A well wisher came to my refuge who offered a sponsorship for one
year. I had to approach my school head teacher who offered a bursary since
the school was a Catholic sponsored school. The sponsorship only offered a
fraction of the total sum. This enabled me to settle for my education, for
my parents could raise the small fraction that had remained.
Although I settled, day school life was such a headache. I had to
struggle with rain, cold, dust, unbearable heat that wasn't welcoming. In
St. Paul's Emulakla, my high school, I happened to be in the first group to
attain an admission at a public university, for the school was only 7 years
old. I attained a mean grade A B (plain). This secured me a chance with
the University of Nairobi taking Bachelor of Science, the subject of my
interest. I joined the university on 17th October 2002. I had been
offered a loan which was not sufficient for my upkeep, tuition and other
academic materials. The first semester is almost over but I've not yet
settled due to financial problems.
Having had a chance in Bachelor of Science, I hope I will be able
to attain my scientific objectives. Right from primary school I longed to
take part in science, contribute to the industrial development of our
country, to contribute to the world's developments in science. I had to
take physics science congress at high school to provincial state.
I being a university student, all family members' expectations are
on me. I have to support the family plus my other brothers who are not yet
married to help our family. Well wishers are out to help my father who
would otherwise have helped me more.
My further prospects are to explore the scientific world and get to
know and explain why some things are the way they are. I also aspire to
support other members of the societies.
I hereby kindly request for a grant to enable me to attain my
lifetime set objective.
-----------------------

ABOUT ACCES:
ACCES requires that students study in a field where jobs are
available. Thus most funded students are in applied sciences and education.
For example, I sponsor 2 medical students, and majors in chemistry
education, math & physics, a math & economics, a nursing student, & Oscar
Mwanzi, a chemistry student about whom I posted last Dec. 20. My elementary
ed student and electrical installation tech major graduated.
I find sponsorship gratifying, for the students are intelligent,
their needs are great, and their interests are similar to mine. I recommend
ACCES to you for these reasons.
A small amount of money can make a huge difference in a Kenyan's
life. In Kenya the average annual income is only about $250. The $300 per
student that I contribute pays for an entire year's college expenses!
ACCES needs many more donors. ACCES can fund only 1 out of every 8
qualified applicants!
If you donate, you are given a handwritten autobiography and
snapshot of the Kenyan student, and you can correspond with the student.

ACCES was founded a decade ago by Beth and George Scott, retirees
in education and law, who had read a book by Robert Rodale pointing out
that one person can make a big difference in the world. They are committed
to global ethics.
A dozen retirees participate in administering ACCES; most live near
Vancouver (north of Seattle). They donate their own money for
administrative costs. Every penny that you contribute goes for the student
scholarship!
Some of these retirees live for 1/2 year as agents in Kakamega,
Kenya at their own expense, to personally coordinate the program there.
ACCES is commmitted to helping Kenyan communities become self-reliant
through education. They know that education is a key to reducing poverty.

FACTS ABOUT KENYA:
Kenya's population is 28 million. Over half are under 15 years old;
and 1/3 of the children never attend ANY school because they are too poor.
Families are huge: each student whom I sponsor has 7 or 8 siblings.
They are subsistence farmers. The social structure is patriarchal and
partly polygamous, with dire results on families. The prevalence of
HIV/AIDS is shocking; an estimated 15% of people are afflicted, and the
misinformation about causes and transmission of the virus is astounding.
ACCES formed an alumni association of their 200+ college graduates,
and they are assisting this group to lead in their communities, including
HIV/AIDS awareness.

Beth Scott checked my facts above and said:
"Your facts are not only correct, but very well presented. Great!
We accept donations at any time of year. Semesters start at the
universities and colleges in the fall and in January. There is, however, a
constant stream of students coming in to ACCES House to ask for
scholarships. When we receive a donation, we tell the donor that we can
now tell the agents that another student can receive a schoarship. So -
spring, fall or anytime in between."

HOW TO CONTACT ACCES:
e-mail: "ACCES (George & Beth Scott)" <acces@shaw.ca>
Browse their web site:
www.powernetdesign.com/acces
You can e-mail or call Beth & George, or mail them a check (made out to ACCES):
Beth Scott, President
ACCES
2441 Christopherson Road
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada V4A 3L2
Phone: (604) 538-7267.

FINAL THOUGHT:
I quote from a newspaper article on ACCES:
"the Scotts point out that the situation in very poor parts of the world,
in both scale and kind, is more desperate than anything known in the rich
societies. "True charity is where the need is", they answer. "Our poorest
people here are wealthy compared to the people there. Further, these
imbalances in the world will eventually impinge upon the 'good life' of the
affluent..."

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
"I hear and I forget; I see and I remember;
I DO and I understand."