Re: luminous efficiency

I should have compared the output in lumens (not power dissipated in the
filament) to the ratio of D*L, so here's a new table:

25W 235 lumens Lumens ratio=1 D*L = 0.168 D*L Ratio = 1
75W 1190 lumens Lumens ratio=5.1 D*L = 0.292 D*L Ratio = 1.7
100W 1750 lumens Lumens ratio=7.4 D*L = 0.371 D*L Ratio = 2.2
200W 4010 lumens Lumens ratio=17 D*L = 0.734 D*L Ratio = 4.4

So I should have written in my previous email:
However, the total visible light output increases to a significant extent
because of the increase in emitting surface area of the filament, which is
proportional to diameter*length. From the calculation below, it appears that
about 35% of the light emission increase results from the increase in
emitting area, the remainder then is due to an increase in filament
temperature (or emissivity change).

(The data on lumens, filament diameter, and length that I have used are from
a GE Booklet entitled "Incandescent Lamps," with a number on the back cover:
TP-110R2 (5/84))