Re: luminous efficiency

"However, another factor which does change the luminous efficiency is the
variation in emissivity with temperature. Carl"

The emissivity of W (ribbon - by double coiling of filaments the emissivity is increased) is rather flat from 0.3 => .5 micron. The variation over this range is ~ 5% 2800 K to 1600. Not until 1.4 micron does the emissivity increase with temperature. For 2800 K & 1600 the emissivity is: ~

wave length emissivity

(micrometer) 2800 K 1600 K

0.3 0.46 0.475

0.4 0.465 0.475

0.5 0.45 0.465

0.6 0.44 0.455

0.7 0.42 0.445

estimated from graph (p. 196 Levi, Applied Optics)

bc

Carl E. Mungan wrote:

Larry Woolf wrote:

I agree that higher wattage means higher
filament temperature, which tends to increase the light output in the
visible by Wien's law.

The light output also increases because of the increasing filament

diameter

and length (higher surface area for light emission) for larger wattage
bulbs:

25 W 0.0030 cm dia 56 cm length ratio=1.0
75 W 0.0053 cm dia 55 cm length 3.2
100 W 0.0064 cm dia 58 cm length 4.4
200 W 0.0102 cm dia 72 cm length 9.0

True, but I was thinking specifically of increasing the luminous efficiency
which is the ratio of visible output in lumens to electrical power in watts.
Note that most of the change in filament size alters both of these values
proportionately. Specifically, I added a fourth column to your table above,
namely the ratio of diameter squared to length, normalized to unity for the
first entry. This ratio tracks pretty closely with the power, as you can
see, the discrepancy indicating some variation in resistivity with
temperature.

However, another factor which does change the luminous efficiency is the
variation in emissivity with temperature. Carl
-----
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040