scholarship needed for a Kenyan MATH & CHEMISTRY student

Dec. 20, 2002
Phys-L colleagues,
Please consider providing a $300 college scholarship for an impoverished
Kenyan, Oscar Mwanzi, who wants to continue studying mathematics and
chemistry.

I received his autobiography recently from Beth Scott, the President of an
excellent Canadian charitable organization of retired educators, called
ACCES (African - Canadian Continuing Education Society). I include
information about ACCES below.

The college semester begins in January, so there's a little time left to
help him.

I've sponsored 8 Kenyan students through ACCES. Every penny goes to their
college education. I correspond with some of the students by e-mail, and
occasionally I mail them research articles and/or instructional materials
in their field.

We have so much, and they have so little! Let's share.

Joyous holidays,
Jane Jackson, Modeling Instruction Program
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Arizona State University, Tempe AZ

----------------------
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF Oscar Tsiombalaka Mwanzi (rec. Dec. 3, 2002 from Beth Scott)
Date of birth: 4th January, 1981
Place of birth: Busulwa village, Mukhonje Sub-location, Ilesi Location,
Kakamega District, Western province of Kenya.

I am the third born of a family of seven children. I was born of two
peasant farmers who have never attended school hence life depends on what
tomorrow will come up with.
I attended Shitochi primary school from 1987-1995 where I obtained 535
marks out of 700 therefore securing a chance at St. Peters Seminary as from
1996-1999 by being sponsored by the Father in charge Mukumu Catholic
Church. I sat for my K.S.C.E in 1999 and obtained a mean grade of B+ hence
was admitted in Egerton University, Njoro Campus and managed to get fees
through HARAMBEE.
I am a footballer. My interests highly lie in the field of science. In
my secondary education, I developed a great interest in both chemistry and
mathematics. In fact, they were among my best subjects in the final exam.
Currently, I am to start my second year of study at Egerton University in
the faculty of Science, area of specification being chemistry and
mathematics.
My highest interest has always been to become a
researcher/technologist. This is deep inside my heart for I am able to
cross-rivers and climb mountains over it.
Being the third born in the family and having been the only one to
qualify for the University, my family expects a lot from me. I have got the
responsibility of catering for and looking after the welfare of my younger
ones when I finish college.
I have got an innermost will of becoming a researcher/scientist who
can add something to the field of science. But, without finance, I am not
seeing it able to accomplish this task.
In summary, I would like to add that it is only through your
assistance that I will be able to achieve my goals. Do assist me so that I
can be able to assist my young ones and also any other person who will be
in need in future.
-----------------------

ABOUT ACCES:
ACCES requires that students study in a field where jobs are
available. Thus most funded students are in applied sciences and education.
For example, I sponsor 2 medical students, and majors in chemistry
education, math & physics, a math & economics, & a nursing student. My
elementary ed student and electrical installation tech major graduated.
I find sponsorship immensely gratifying, for the students are
intelligent, their needs are great, and their interests are similar to
mine. I recommend ACCES to you for the same reasons.
A small amount of money can make a huge difference in a Kenyan's
life. In Kenya the average annual income is only about $250. The $300 per
student that I contribute pays for an entire year's college expenses!
ACCES needs many more donors. ACCES can fund only 1 out of every 8
qualified applicants!
If you donate, you are given a handwritten autobiography and
snapshot of the Kenyan student, and you can correspond with the student.

ACCES was founded a decade ago by Beth and George Scott, retirees
in education and law, who had read a book by Robert Rodale pointing out
that one person can make a big difference in the world. They are committed
to global ethics.
A dozen retirees participate in administering ACCES; most live near
Vancouver (north of Seattle). They donate their own money for
administrative costs. Every penny that you contribute goes for the student
scholarship!
Some of these retirees live for 1/2 year as agents in Kakamega,
Kenya at their own expense, to personally coordinate the program there.
ACCES is commmitted to helping Kenyan communities become self-reliant
through education. They know that education is a key to reducing poverty.

I like ACCES so much that I'm on their volunteer board of directors.

FACTS ABOUT KENYA:
Kenya's population is 28 million. Over half are under 15 years old;
and 1/3 of the children never attend ANY school because they can't afford
to pay the compulsory fees. That unschooled proportion is increasing,
unfortunately.
Families are huge: each student whom I sponsor has 7 or 8 siblings.
They are subsistence farmers. The social structure is patriarchal and
partly polygamous, with dire results on families. The prevalence of
HIV/AIDS is shocking; an estimated 15% of people are afflicted, and the
misinformation about causes and transmission of the virus is astounding.
ACCES formed an alumni association of their 200+ college graduates,
and they are assisting this group to lead in their communities, including
HIV/AIDS awareness.

Beth Scott checked my facts above and said:
"Your facts are not only correct, but very well presented. Great!
We accept donations at any time of year. Semesters start at the
universities and colleges in the fall and in January. There is, however, a
constant stream of students coming in to ACCES House to ask for
scholarships. When we receive a donation, we tell the donor that we can
now tell the agents that another student can receive a schoarship. So -
spring, fall or anytime in between."

HOW TO CONTACT ACCES:
e-mail: "ACCES (George & Beth Scott)" <acces@shaw.ca>
Browse their web site:
www.powernetdesign.com/acces
You can e-mail or call Beth & George, or mail them a check (made out to ACCES):
Beth Scott, President
ACCES
2441 Christopherson Road
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada V4A 3L2
Phone: (604) 538-7267.

FINAL THOUGHT:
I quote from a newspaper article on ACCES:
"the Scotts point out that the situation in very poor parts of the world,
in both scale and kind, is more desperate than anything known in the rich
societies. "True charity is where the need is", they answer. "Our poorest
people here are wealthy compared to the people there. Further, these
imbalances in the world will eventually impinge upon the 'good life' of the
affluent..."

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>