Re: unexpected obstacles

>>a growing number of students who think their tuition dollars
>>purchased the
>>right to have everything spoon-fed to them, and they complain
>>if that is
>>not what they get. I am hoping this is something that will
>>pass, but I am worried. . . .

RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

IMO, the increasingly disturbing impression I get, both here and in
posts as Mike's, is not that the students have these opinions, but
that administrators are increasingly having the same opinions or at
least think that educators should pander to them.

Yes, this is where the rubber really meets the road.
*) This isn't a physics problem.
*) This isn't even a pedagogy problem -- everybody on the
list seems to agree on the importance of getting students
to think for themselves, and basically agree on methods.
*) This is not primarily a problem with the students.
For thousands of years students have been "testing" their
teachers to see what they can get away with.
*) Telling students that such-and-such is necessary is
relatively easy; telling administrators that such-and-such
is necessary is much harder. Administrators respond to
political pressure. We need to recognize the political
dimension.

I'm not an expert in politics, but I know enough to
recognize a political problem when I see one.
-- You can't solve a political problem by sharpening
your physics skills.
-- You can't solve a political problem by sharpening
your pedagogical skills.
-- Directly arguing your case to the schools administrators
might help, but it's hard and risky and won't solve the
whole problem.

Part of politics involves sizing up your opponents and
rallying your allies.

One thing that might help is an indirect approach through
the business community. These folks have a vested interest
in a no-nonsense education system. They don't want to hire
graduates who require spoon-feeding; they want to hire people
who can deliver a message to Garcia.

So this suggests a possible line of action. In every town
there is some sort of "business leaders' breakfast club".
Track these people down. Tell them what the issues are.
Get them to put pressure on the school board and school
administrators.

This won't be easy, and it isn't the whole story, but it
might help. Refinements and other suggestions would be
welcome.