Re: unexpected obstacles

The comments of Arlyn that I quote, summarize much of this discussion:

I know it is unusual to go 5 rounds with one student in the
same day but I don't think a day goes by where I don't have a similar
discussion with at least one student on one of these type of points. Too
many of them
just want to pass, they don't really want to learn anything and they
don't like it when I don't let them pass with sloppy work and
regurgitated answers. The percentage of students who are curious and
ask questions because they want to learn is decreasing and the number of
students who thinks the world owes them everything with little or no
work on their part is increasing.

I'll offer a slightly dissenting opinion. I don't think students are that
different now than they ever were. Students tend to take the path of least
resistance. What has changed has been the educational establishment's
response to this student behavior. E.g. "the self-esteem" movement
mentioned by several. The collective "we" have allowed such student (&
parental) strategies to be successful, whereas in the past such strategies
resulted in low grades and were not successful (hence, they weren't the path
of least resistance for a successful life). IMO therein lies much of the
problem.

Joel R