Re: Line break problem

I can see why Hugh said my network administrator sounds like a dictator.
However, nothing could be further from the truth. It is because he has
been overly accomodating, coupled with being short staffed, that his
life is hell. He doesn't run from one fire to another. He is
surrounded by fires. No running is necessary. He just turns around and
there is another fire to put out. Most of the fires he deals with are
"unique problems" caused because someone is doing something special or
different.

Actually, I used to have his job. For a period of 5 years, ending about
10 years ago, I was "director of academic computing." That might be a
fun job given sufficient funds and staff. But there is never enough
money nor staffing to "do things right." I spent evenings and weekends
working to resolve problems. Our current guy does the same, and is
often working on someone's problem at 2 AM.

When you're working as hard as he works and feeling like everyday leaves
you further behind, it is not unusual to dream what might be changed to
make your life easier. He has often said how much easier it would be if
everyone had the same computer and software. This is clearly a true
statement regardless of whether he is a dictator or not; and it is a
valid dream whether he is a dictator or not.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Chair of Sciences
Bluffton College