Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At 11:11 PM 10/27/02, you wrote:
The recent issue of AJP posed a problem which NO physics professors (20) or
students (67) could solve. I wonder if anyone on this list can solve it?
Please no peeking at the answer key. I have already peeked so I am
disqualified.

Ignore the retarding effect of air resistance. A rigid wheel is spinning
with an angular speed of W0 about a frictionless axis. The wheel drops on a
horizontal floor, slips for some time, and then rolls without slipping.
After the wheel starts rolling without slipping, the center of the mass
speed is Vf. How does Vf depend on the kinetic coefficient of friction mu
between the floor and the wheel?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I am completely naive to this problem. So I will first engage physical
intuition,
misleading though this apparently is here.
I recall the importance of not allowing tow vehicle wheels to slip on hauling
a boat out.
I see that the minimal wheel angular speed is desired, and the end speed
will be optimized at middle values of mu, and zero for zero mu.
But that is all I initially see.

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!