Re: a surprising escape speed problem

At 8:39 AM -0500 10/26/02, Brian Whatcott wrote:

I am probably missing the whole point of this puzzle which I thought was to
posit the replacement of the Sun's gravitational attraction with a string.

I visualize a string distributed to act on every Earth particle, and
realise that
this is a gravity force by another name. So the question turns out to be:
what is the effect on space launches if Earth's diurnal rotation is stopped?
I take it that one loses the advantage of equatorial launches.
And that's about it.

Isn't it?

No, it isn't at least for the following reason: With the Sun in the
picture, a launch speed that allows the object to escape from the
Earth is far too small to allow it to "escape to infinity." On the
other hand I think it *is* true that replacing the Sun with a string
does not appreciably change the required launch speed for escape from
the Earth.