Re: Hewitt Special Relativity Example (Long)

At 11:53 AM 10/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Carl E. Mungan wrote:

If the frequency is shifted by a factor of r when an observer moves
away from (or toward) a source at a speed v, then the frequency will
be shifted by a factor of 1/r when the source moves toward (or away
from) the observer at the same speed v.

An examination of the equations for the "normal" and relativistic
Doppler effects will show that both support this conclusion. The
critical difference--one that needs to be made explicit to apply the
argument to Hewitt's treatment of the twin paradox in which the
observer is always "at rest"--is that, in the case of the
relativistic Doppler effect, motion of the source is
indistinguishable from motion of the observer.

I've read Hewett's explanation for the twin paradox and must agree with
Carl's posting (up above). The thing that I do not see in Hewett's
explanation is the correlation betwen the frequency difference and the
time between the pulses experienced by the earth observer with the actual
passage of time aboard the spacecraft or on the earth. I have difficulty
seeing how this brings about time dillation on the spacecraft.

I recall reading (sorry, can't cite the source) that the time dilation in
the spacecraft is a result of its acceleration, which the stationary earth
does not experience. The idea being that the spacecraft and the earth are
not two different reference frames moving away or towards one another at a
constant velocity. One is an accelerated frame (at least at some point on
the voyage) and the other is not.

So what is the actual, copper-bottomed, good to go, widely accepted
explanation for the twin paradox?

G.W. Knapp