Re: Star Hopping, green laser pointers

Okay. I bit the bullet and bought a 5 mW green continuous laser for about $150. Saw what looked like the same thing from different
vendors on the Internet ranging from $120 all the way up to $300. I picked one that seemed to provide the most intelligent website
as well as reasonable price. It arrived yesterday and I tried it last night. It is indeed fantastic.

Even though my wife had already taken off her shoes for the night, I made her come outside and see it. That's not usually a good
idea because my "neat demos" never measure up to the bother of getting her away from her book and the couch. (She is a teacher, but
not a scientist, and not usually impressed by science toys.) Her response... "Wow. That's going change the way you teach
astronomy. You're never going to take an astronomy class outside again without that thing. Give it to me. What's that star right
there?"

And later, when when my daughter got back from the HS football game... "Dad, that is so cool. I want one. Let me try it. Wow, it
seems like I have a light sabre in my hand. Okay... those stars right there and there and there. Like, is that a contellation or
something?"

Yep, it's something all right.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry