Re: Why Physics First?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bob LaMontagne wrote:

I've taught physical science by inquiry using the McDermott material to
both in-service and pre-service teachers. The in-service teachers are
much more fun to teach because they are actively engaged and want to
understand. The pre-service teachers are still too much in the student
mode.

I've had little or none of the "what's going to be on the test" language
so far.
Perhaps it is the curricular design that does not allow the teachers to
take charge of their own learning so they can be curious.

cheers,

joe

This frightens me. Most elementary teachers not only have incredibly poor science
skills, many are openly anti-science. I've taught evening courses for elementary
teachers who needed science credits - and I've also taught a high school physics
course - I'd rather teach the high school students any day! The elementary teachers
were only interested in getting a passing grade so they could get their next pay
increment. There was no curiosity of any kind - it was just "tell me what to memorize
for the exam". I'm really scared of the idea of these people teaching science to
elementary students - they're far better off waiting until high school where the
science teachers actually have some science in their undergraduate course work.

Bob at PC

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College