Re: grades, pass/fail etc.

On this subject, I must say that I was not unhappy to jump through mickey mouse hoops as an undergraduate.

The reason - all my gen ed requirements were taken through an Honors college. The classes were limited to 17. There were no tests, but loads of writing and reading. Teachers were recruited and only the best were chosen. The dean was accessible.

Then there was the topics. The classes I took were
Cyberculture
Game Theory
Rich and poor in American Literature
Debate (ok the teacher sucked in that class and I led a revolt to have him removed)
Western Traditions
Non-western traditions (Indians)
Advertising in our culture
The biology and evolution of sex (refer to what I learned in that class all the time)

There were a wide variety of courses to choose from and if there were multibple sections of a class, like western traditions, a different teacher usually taught each section and the readings were usually different.

I think what helps is a wide variety rather than you must take course X.
Oh I forgot. There was one class I actually dreaded. I dont remember the name of it, but I remeber the teacher and the books we read. Billy Budd. I HATE THAT BOOK!

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429