Re: vector components and notation

S Goelzer wrote:

Unit vectors (for HS physics) just get in the way. I would
rather spend the time on other topics. All I teach is component
addition (but very thoroughly).

I hope there's a little more to it than that.

Specifically, I hope the syllabus also includes
_geometric_ addition, tip-to-tail, without using
components.

Components exist only in connection with a particular
chosen basis, whereas vectors are geometric objects
that exist even in the absence of a basis.

For instance, the idea that a central force conserves
angular momentum can be proved (in less time than it
takes to tell about it) using the geometric vector
properties. Dragging components into it just makes
it more laborious and less clear.