Re: corrupting the youth

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, John S. Denker wrote:

Jack Uretsky wrote:

The Harke paper
http://www.harke.org/ps/intro.ps.gz

is directed to more profound
problems than are normally faced in undergraduate mechanics,

... which is why I have repeatedly not recommended it
as a starting point.
I thought that was the recommendation, that's why I went there.
What is the recommended starting point?

Perhaps the problem is that people who get good
at Clifford Algebra quickly get too good, and soon
race ahead, beyond the reach and almost beyond the
sight of the rest of the community.
That's one possibility. Another is that the Clifford algebra approach
offers no new insights.

I think the pedagogica agenda should be to do
a few simple things with it and stop there. Perhaps
start with qualitative gyroscopic precession, as
illustrated by
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/gif48/add-bivectors.gif
and stop there.
Well, that's a very pretty picture, but it doesn't tell me how to tell an
undergrad who hates working with symbols that this is an easier way to
calculate areas.

Maybe a year later calculate areas using ||A/\B||.
But (using the Clifford algebra postulates), A/\B and AxB are one and the
same animal. ixj is a pseudovector whether or not the Clifford
fundamentalists want to agree that it is aligned along the direction k.

Calling the magnetic field a bivector (specified by a surface) doesn't
have the impact of using a compass needle to map out a field line (we're
talking about pedagogy, no?). And the B-field is just as real as the
E-field, it's just that magnetic poles are difficult to isolate. Let's
have a little democracy around here.

Maybe a year after that get serious with rotors,
electromagnetism, and all that.

So,IMO, foisting this stuff on helpless undergraduates (and their
teachers) qualifies as corruption of youth in the worst sense of ....

A) That rather depends on what one means by "this
stuff".

B) I think the real problem is not with the youth, but
with the old fogies who long ago spent a week getting
comfortable with the cross product, and who don't want
to spend a week learning something new.

The youth will have to spend a week on one thing or
the other, and it seems more-than-likely that a week
spent learning wedge products will be much more
valuable than a week spent learning cross products. I
don't know that for sure, but I haven't seen anything
resembling evidence to the contrary.
That may be the real crux of our differences. I think that the apparent
unification that is offered by the Clifford algebra approach, involves
levels of abstraction that will make the typical American undergrad much
more uncomfortable than the conventional approach.

Clifford fits well into the Bourbaki approach to mathematics which, as far
as I am concerned, will reach its apex when all of mathematical knowledge
is condensed into a single incomprehensible symbol.

the positive
subalgebra (to be defined) of the Clifford Algebra of V(4,(4)) is just the
ordinary vector algebra that you have all used since childhood.

Practically everything you've ever heard of can be
rediscovered as some subalgebra of some Clifford
Algebra. That means I don't need to separately learn
about vectors, spinors, complex numbers, quaternions,
pauli algebra, dirac algebra, etc. etc. etc. -- I just
learn Clifford Algebra and get all that stuff for free.
For free? How many high school teachers on this net are likely to want,
or be able to reproduce, the derivation that I gave in my posting? And,
after reproducing it, how many would find it easy to teach? I find the
choice of the word "free" to be a real hoot!

If you already know all that stuff, maybe you don't
have much to gain from Clifford Algebra ... but it
would be absurd to assume that the youth already know
all that. And in any case it doesn't detract from the
simplicity and elegance and power of the Clifford Algebra.
I don't regard my derivation to be a demonstration of "simplicity and
elegance and power". There was nothing to tell me that V(4,(4)) was the
right set to start with. There was nothing to tell me in advance that a7
was going to turn out to be the identity. And I had to do a lot of work
to show that at the end of the day the 7 elements of the Clifford Algebra
reduced to the the basis vectors of Gibbs and Hamilton.

I'll soon be replacing my signature line with my favorite quote about
Bourbaki.
Regards,
Jack

--
"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.