Re: Nuclear topics in physics?

Eisberg and Lerner is an example of a text that is very complete and
very thorough but essentially unusable as an introductory text unless
one is teaching at MIT, Cal-Tech (or the equivalent). Such was the case
with the Feynman lecture series (which was neither complete or thorough)
but when first out was used as the introductory E&M text (Vol II)in my
undergraduate sophomore level class--with predictable results ;-(

Anyway, I think one of Ludwik's points is that IN ORDER to get more
nuclear physics into the introductory curriculum, it needs to be
integrated, often as examples, into other areas so as not to bloat the
already huge texts. [I have my students get the Hecht-Calculus text in
the two volume form simply so they don't get stoop shouldered carrying
around the full 10 pound book!]

Few of us have students, even in our intro classes for scientists and
engineers, who are ready for the math or detail that John D suggests,
and certainly none of our life-science or Gen-Ed students can handle
such, yet it does seem a good idea to get more nuclear into their
curricula so I favor Ludwik's original suggestion.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Dept. of Chemistry & Physics