Re: left/right symmetry, manifest or not

Robert Cohen wrote:

I wouldn't blame the cross product. I would say the *coordinate system* is
flipped in the mirror and the cross product follows suit.

I do blame the cross product, because without the cross
product, flipping the coordinate system wouldn't have
any effect on the way we write the laws of physics
(excluding weak nuclear interactions).

For example, meteorologists may use a left-handed coordinate system where
one axis points toward the east, another points toward the north, and the
third points in the direction of increasing pressure (down). If we define
ixj=k then the cross product in this coordinate system follows the LHR. As
far as I am concerned, this is just math.

But we use math to write the laws of physics.
There evidently were people on this list who thought
the laws of electromagnetism were right-handed, because
of the prominent cross products in the usual form of the
Maxwell equations. The cross-product math isn't really
wrong, but it can be misleading.

The physics is contained in the circulation,

Yes!

which is the same in both coordinate systems. Likewise, the
wedge product is the same in both coordinate systems. I think.

It is. It rather directly portrays the circulation, so
it is bulletproof.