Re: AN HTML BUG?

Thanks JohnD. All three sets now behave as intended. And
this is the most important. But I am still puzzled. To explain
this let me show you two very short documents:

http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/example1.html

and

http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/example2.html

They are identical, except for one thing. Example1 does
have the </h3> tag at the end of line 5 while Example2
does not have it. Note that each of these documents has
the </h3> tag at the end.

I am not listing the codes because a source of a rendered
page can be seen while you are browsing. In Netscape, for
example, this is done by choosing the PAGE SOURCE
from the VIEW menu.

Why is the second document rendered as bold? Is it not
true that <B> and </B> are independent of <h3> and
</h3>? The <h3> of the first document is accompanied
by </h3> at the end of the code. Why is it not sufficient?
What is wrong with expecting the plain text (in the
<h3> style) to resume after the </B> in line 5? In other
words, why is the text bold after the line 5 in the second
example and not bold in the first?

It is clear that my understanding of html is wrong because
the "bug" was fixed by adding </h3> to line 5. But why?
Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

FOR SOME REASON THE </B> TAG IN LINE 5 IS OBEYED
(THE STYLE IS NO LONGER BOLD) IN THE FIRST
DOCUMENT BUT NOT OBEYED IN THE SECOND (THE
STYLE CONTINUES TO BE BOLD AFTER LINE 5).

The problem is that one version is missing a </h3>
tag. The text is bold not because of the <b> directive;
it would have been bold anyway because of the <h3> directive.

ALSO .... check out
http://validator.w3.org/
which is a free on-line HTML validation service.