Re: vector products

At 5:34 PM -0400 8/26/02, John S. Denker wrote:
Chuck Britton wrote [off list]:

Tina isn't the only one who is totally unfamiliar with this
Clifford Algebra thing.

I had never heard of it until about a month ago.
(There's no zealot like a convert :-)

I found John's evangelism intriguing so I downloaded his paper and then
some of the references, and one thing led to another...
I'd never heard of Clifford Algebra before that either, but now I have a
3-ring binder full of those papers I printed out from the web and I'm
studying them with interest.

I do recommend that others look at it too. The claims the advocates make
for it are pretty wild, but I haven't found any place yet where they
haven't delivered.

Does this imply that the 'Right Hand Rule' doesn't have a place in
Clifford's algebra?

Correct. The RH rule is not needed. The question just
doesn't come up -- which is a good thing IMHO.

Surely this new math recognizes the difference between left and
right-handed coordinate systems.

Not really.

Now, John's into this deeper than I am and smarter to start with, so I
really hesitate to contradict him, but the papers I read seem to explicitly
assume a right-handed coordinate system.

For example, page 5 of the Gull, Lasenby & Doran article "Imaginary Numbers
are not Real" says, "taking two orthonormal basis vectors \sigma_1 and
\sigma_2....we assume that \sigma_1, \sigma_2 are chosen such that this has
the conventional right-handed orientation."

And in "Handout 1 An Introduction to Geometric Algebra" it says, "...this
is the highest grade element in the algebra, which is often called a
pseudoscalar.... The pseudoscalar is defined to be right-handed, so that
e_1 sweeps onto e_2 in a right-handed sense."

And in Hestenes' Oersted lecture he says (page 14): "Unit pseudoscalar i
represents an oriented unit volume. The volume is said to be righthanded,
because i can be generated from a righthanded vector basis by the ordered
product \sigma_1\sigma_2\sigma_3 = i."