-----Original Message-----
From: John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 11:50 AM

Robert Cohen wrote:

Suppose we had two fixed chambers of volume V separated by
a stopcock. In
one we place a gas at pressure P and temperature T. The
other is evacuated
(P=0). If we turn the stopcock, the gas expands to fill
both chambers.
What is the pressure and temperature in the chambers?

Does the answer depend on making certain assumptions?
This problem always seems to get different answers every
time I ask it.

Indeed! The temperature change is positive, negative, or zero,
depending on assumptions.

The temperature change is
-- negative for a real gas that is initially below the
J-T inversion temperature,
-- positive above the J-T inversion temperature,
-- zero right at the J-T inversion temperature, and
-- zero always for an _ideal_ gas.
[snip]
Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301