Alternative energy sources

Okay
All this talk about resources and nuclear fuel and such has reminded me of something.

The power company in St. Louis (used to be called Union Electric, think it is like Ameron UE now) built a power plant that used old shredded up tires as fuel.

I believe the idea was that since it takes so much petroleum to make a tire why not burn the old tires in a controlled fashion to use up that oil to make power?

How effective is this? How does it work? What about the fumes?

I am going to look for a website on it. If I find it I will post it.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429