Re: Vapor?

Yes, but, not quite -- I was taught: vapor is a gas from a liquid (or solid) that is
liquid (or solid) at STP (or ~ the same, room temp). This means there is a physical
difference between their BP's. Exception: in the phrase vapor pressure the liquid may
be the example already given i.e. of He in equib. with its liquid (or solid)

bc

P.s. The first definition in one of my dict. (1991) is: another substance diffused
in air, e.g. mist or smoke. Is that were Tina's students get their definition?

"There is no physical or chemical difference between a vapor
and a gas. The difference in connotation is subtle and not
very important.

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9907&L=phys-l&P=R21055";

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Okay

??

I have been doing heat and such with my physics students.
Everytime I say gas, they bring up vapor.

I don't know where it comes from and I keep trying to get them to stop using vapor

Why?

but it seems stuck in their minds..
Esp. that gas and vapor are the same.

Is this a problem?